Thursday, June 08, 2006

story time.....

Well if you listen to music quite often, I am sure you do not stick to one kind of music. Some times philosophical or profound or even beautiful lyrics (coldplay fits the bill) tend to get you down. THAT is the time you reach out for this kind of music...what kind you ask? Hold your horses, I'll get to that in a moment. The belafonte song I wrote this post about fits the bill.

The following song is in the same vain, the beat is quite nice so makes for a good listen. I am quite sure it was actually written in a diner and then twisted.... :)

Suzane vega - Tom's Diner

I am sitting
In the morning
At the diner
ON the corner

I am waiting
At the counter
For the man
To pour the coffee

And he fills it
Only halfway
And before
I even argue

He is looking
Out the window
At somebody
Coming in

It Is always
Nice to see you.
Says the man
Behind the counter

To the woman
Who has come in
She is shaking
Her umbrella

And I look
The other way
As they are kissing

Their hellos

I'm pretending
Not to see them
Instead
I pour the milk

I open
Up the paper
There's a story
Of an actor

Who had died
While he was drinking
It was no one
I had heard of

And I'm turning
To the horoscope
And looking
For the funnies

When I'm feeling
Someone watching me
And so
I raise my head

There's a woman
ON the outside
Looking inside
Does she see me?

No she does not
Really see me
Cause she sees
Her own reflection

And I'm trying
Not to notice
That she's hitching
Up her skirt

And while she's
Straightening her stockings
Her hair
Is getting wet

Oh and this rain
It will continue
Through the morning
As I'm listening

To the bells
Of the cathedral
I am thinking
Of your voice...

And of the midnight picnic
Once upon a time
Before the rain began...

I finish up my coffee
It's time to catch the train

Yeah, I know crapy stuff, still kinda fun.....
However my favourite from this kinda stuff will always be this one from soul assylum...

Soul Asylum - String Of Pearls

She swings the string of pearls ON the corner
The street lights reflect the light in the water
The string it snaps and the pearls go sailing
And they splash and bounce and roll cross the wet street

As she bends to chase the pearls a car swings round the corner
She darts from the eyes of the panic-struck driver
Who's racing to the delivery ROOM
Cause In the back seat his wife is busting out of her womb

And the sack breaks and out come the siamese twins
Who grow up to become the first president
With two heads
Are better than one

He puts his heads in his hands and says I got to put my heads together
I can become the best president ever
And not just president
Fend for yourself

Signs his name and takes the blame for all of the names with no shame
In their beliefs
They adjourn and they leave and in walks a man
With a broom and a knife and blood ON his hands

And he sweeps everything under the rug
And goes home to his kids and gives them a hug
But his wife was not there and she had just left a letter
That said you.d be much better OFF without me

Now his wife took the train to her ex-lover.s funeral
Who died in the bathroom and hit his head ON a urinal
When they got together and the knowledge was carnal
And the widow was at the funeral and they had quite a catfight

And they fell into the hole where the casket was resting
And the preacher just left in the middle of the service
Cause Death was one thing and but women made him nervous
And he ran to his car and he drove round the corner

Then something in the street caught the light in his eye
He pulled over, reached down and picked up a pearl from the gutter
And he didn't know what to think
And he brought it home and washed it in the sink

And he gave the pearl to sister Mary teresa
Who could not accept it so she gave it to lisa,
A Young prostitute who was missing a pearl
ON the necklace that broke late last night

All lyrics courtesy lyricstime

No comments: